Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Pepper Portrait





































This is the start of a new oil painting. My subject is a local pug/English Bulldog named Pepper. Todays post shows the first seven steps. The canvas measures 4' X 3'. Here are the first steps:
























  1. Transferred Pepper's image from a photo






  2. Established the horizontal plane.





  3. Added vertical lines.





  4. Added a diagonal reference line.





  5. Added horizontal lines.





  6. Erased the reference lines.





  7. I did not like the proportions. So, I extended the table plane.

There will be many changes as I progress. However, for now, that will establish a strong base.

1 comment:

  1. You detail in the making of oil paintings look great, James! My brother in-law made my book cover (he's a graphic design artist) and I was amazed at the detail this work requires. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    David Lucero

    ReplyDelete