Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
I started work on the checkerboard squares in today's session. Since I did not have any painter's tape on hand, I decided to free-hand it. It's good to practice this every once in while to keep your eye-hand coordination sharp.
Since I started late in the day, I only finished a few squares. Still, I can already see that the Cadmium Red Hue and Cadmium Red Deep Hue are providing a good contrast to the other colors. When I add the black squares, it will provide a good contrast to the red ones.
All of the colors used thus far are just base from which I will add further glazes. Each subsequent glaze will increase the depth of the colors and subjects.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
This week, I added color to the table cloth. Using the compliment color to the yellow back ground, I set down a base Dioxazine Purple mixed with Liquin as a medium. To start to show the direction of light, I added Permanent Alizarin and Cadmium Red hue. For the shadows, I added Cobalt Blue Hue and Indigo.
Lastly, I added Titanium White to the lower cloth to indicate light hitting the folds. I also added Titanium White to the table top to make it lighter. These will be the base colors from which I will add subsequent glazes.
Next week, I will add the base color to the chess board.
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Since I have to work for a living, I get one good painting day a week. This week, I got a late start and decided on just focusing on the background color. Once I add paint to canvas, I really start to feel the creative juices flow. Drawing has never been my strong point or something that I look forward to starting. For me, it is a means to an end. That end being allowed to put the pigments together and let the color explode.
Today, I used a 2" brush loaded with Winton Cadmium Yellow Medium and using Liquin to thin. Getting the background color allows me to focus more on the subject's face. As I progress, I will adjust the colors of the background to match the light source.
Here is Pepper:
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
This is the start of a new oil painting. My subject is a local pug/English Bulldog named Pepper. Todays post shows the first seven steps. The canvas measures 4' X 3'. Here are the first steps:
- Transferred Pepper's image from a photo
- Established the horizontal plane.
- Added vertical lines.
- Added a diagonal reference line.
- Added horizontal lines.
- Erased the reference lines.
- I did not like the proportions. So, I extended the table plane.
There will be many changes as I progress. However, for now, that will establish a strong base.